Saturday, July 18, 2015

Triathlon Training. Race #4

And so it begins which is how I started this blog entry on April 9th.

In reality, my training started March 22 and only got around to starting a blog entry three weeks later. Here we are 12 weeks after that and I am just getting back to finishing that blog entry.

I did not realize how many people have read my Tri training blog. Over the last few months I have received many inquiries on whether or not I was racing this year.  The answer is yes I am. As a matter of fact, the race, the New York City Triathlon, is this Sunday (July 19th). 

I thought that maybe I would not blog about my training this year.  I picked up a new client early on in my training who likes to train at 5:00 am. When I say early on, I mean, kind of almost the day I started training. By the time we finish up in the morning and then get my own training in then head to teach my classes, well, there is  just not been enough time and training sessions got longer. I was more interested in napping than writing.

My original blog started 3 years ago. Is was to document my triathlon training and to share what it was like to train for a triathlon.  I have shared my experiences on potholes, arrogant bikers, rude swimmers and distracted runners. I have written about wind, rain, injury, exhaustion, tears, blood, triumph and personal revelations. Here we are again. This time, not the start but nearly at the end of a new training season. I am ready to do it all over again on Sunday.

The training season started off with a split start. I was scheduled to start training March 29th but I was also scheduled to be away at the ACSM summit that same week. I started biking and swimming the week before and ran while I was away in Phoenix. I was also simultaneously training for the More Magazine half marathon (April 19th). To say it was chaotic was an understatement in those first few weeks.

Once the half marathon passed, I became Tri focused.  Swimming, biking and running three times a week plus strength training. During my training this year, I realized how very different it felt this year and so very different than it was the onset 3 years ago. What was scary and new has become familiar.  What seemed impossible is now easier. Training that seemed so hard and long, has become routine. I spent a great deal of time in the gym strength training over the winter focused on becoming stronger and leaner.  I feel that has paid off tremendously.

Swimming that seemed almost impossible for me, has become easier.  Easy enough to the point where the dread of the 3000 yard swim is not fear that “I can't do it”, but how long it’s going to be and how “I wish it were just over with already”.  To make such long swims less boring, I found a waterproof shuffle.  SWIM CHANGING! not life changing, but boy oh boy did it help. 

The true pain and dread showed up around week 13 just as I was coming into peak training. The runs are long, the rides are far and the swims seem to last forever. By week 14, I asked The Husband to remind me to defer until next year, I needed a break.  Of course now that we are at taper week, and I feel good, ready to go and unlikely to defer until next year. 

Training this year has been completely different. Triathlon is not new anymore. It is just what I do. Don't get me wrong, my race day nerves will show up, some already have. I started panicking about two weeks ago. I will always be nervous before jumping into the water. I don't know anyone who doesn't have some kind of nerves on race day no matter what the race. 

The biggest difference is this year I am looking beyond the race into the week after. A serious vacation awaits and I will not be solely focused on the all-consuming triathlon.

See you in the Hudson!


No comments:

Post a Comment