Monday, October 20, 2014

The Rules by Which We Live

Do you know what your rules are?

We all have rules by which we must live. Whether they are imposed on you by your job, the building where you live or by you.  In the building where I live, for example, dogs are only allowed in the service elevator. The exception to the rule is when the service elevator is out then the dog can go in the regular passenger elevator.  I may have already proved my own point but keep reading and we will see.

Personally, I have rules that I live by that I set for myself. I drink one glass of water as soon as I wake up in the morning. I made this rule for myself to drink at that time because I know I am bad at drinking water and least I know that I will have consumed at least 16 oz. first thing in the morning.  Another rule I have created is I go grocery shopping on Monday mornings, after the morning rush hour is over but still early enough in the day so the store is not too crowded.  Rule #3 is I workout first thing in the morning, period.  If I can't workout in the morning, the workout usually doesn't happen.  Another rule, I have to sit down and write my blog entry in one sitting. If I don't have the time for it just after the lunch hour, it doesn't happen.

I rarely revisit my rules. They serve a purpose, they are tested and tried and true.  The Husband believes the rules should be revisited now and again. During a long walk recently, he and I had a discussion about why you need to revisit your rules once in a while. You should remember why/how you came to these rules and revisit them. You may discover it’s time to change them up a bit. “Update your GPS maps” if you will. Just because I am who I am, I automatically disagreed, much to the annoyance to The Husband. (I can hear his head shaking at me now.)

I don't really disagree with him. Every day I ask someone to break their own personal rules to fit exercise into their schedule.  Every day I break my own rules in order to get everything done. Believe me this is greeted with a whole lot of pushback.

Nobody wants to break their rules they have created. Their rules too are tried and true and probably came to them for a good reason. Whether those reasons are to avoid annoyances, make a life a little easier or perhaps that is just the way you have always done. It has been handed down to you by your family. You may not even actually how or why you created a rule for yourself, it just is.

What if you were to break the rule you created?  What is the worst that would happen? 

I go grocery shopping on Monday, unless I am going to have a crazy day on Monday then I go on Sunday morning. (I do try to avoid any time after 2pm, just way too crowded and crazy). I workout in the morning, period. Unless I am training for a triathlon and the pool does not open until 10 or it’s raining in the morning and I can't ride until the afternoon because that is when it’s expected to clear up. I can only write my blog in the afternoon, unless I am feeling exceptionally inspired to get it down on paper. I have revisited writing completely.  I have found that if I start an idea, get the idea down then revisit it a couple of days later, the idea has formed more completely for a more comprehensive read.

Rules like: I only do cardio or I only strength train, or I can only take classes taught by Ms. So & So are arbitrary. So it may be time to revisit them (unless I am Ms. So & So and then there is no need to revisit).

First, you need to ask yourself why? Why do you only do cardio?  People only do cardio because it is the easiest form of exercise to understand.  Anybody can walk on a treadmill, walk or run around outside, or move on an elliptical. There are no special skills or knowledge needed to perform these exercises. You can also read (bad idea) or watch TV while doing so.  I also believe that people believe that cardio burns more calories than anything else and that they are getting more out of a cardio workout than another kind of workout.  Ask yourself, where did you learn that? Is it something that your mother/sister/friend taught you or is it just what you have always done?  Exercise science changes all the time. Although cardio is good and should be done, do you ever mix it up with a little high intensity action, like a sprint?   According to a 2011 study presented at the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, just 2 weeks of high-intensity intervals improves your aerobic capacity as much as 6 to 8 weeks of endurance training.

Secondly, where did you learn to only strength train?  Did you join a gym umpteen years ago and somebody walked you through the circuit of Cybex machines? Or maybe a friend brought you to the gym once or twice, showed you their routine of exercises and now that is what you do.

I think most people avoid strength training because it’s difficult and it’s confusing.   It could be time to work with a personal trainer. Most gyms/trainers do offer a complimentary training session and assessment (just be prepared for the sales pitch) they will also gladly see you more than once.  If you are only strength training, you are missing out on the benefits of cardio fitness.  Aerobic exercise may activate your immune system. This may leave you less susceptible to minor viral illnesses, such as colds and flu. Aerobic exercise reduces the risk of many conditions, including obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, stroke and certain types of cancer.  I could go on and on about the benefits but I am sure you get the idea.

Third, who is this Ms. So & So that you are so loyal to?  In which rule book is it written that you can only take her classes on Monday, Wednesday & Friday?  Break out! Try something new!  Don’t feel guilty about taking someone else's class.  A truly good instructor will be happy to see you trying different things and exploring the world of exercise and will encourage you to do so. Most instructors/ trainers will be happy that you are staying active and didn't disappear into the sofa.

Rules work but I have to continually remind myself to be flexible with my rules. A rule that worked in the beginning for me as novice may need revision as I grow and learn. If you fall into a rule rut, your successes will plateau or you may stop due to boredom. Exercise is supposed to make you feel better. Go ahead and allow yourself to do something new that you may just love.

Do you know what your rules are?

We all have rules that we must live by whether they are imposed on you by the company you work for, the building where you live or imposed on you by you.  In the building where I live, for example, dogs are only allowed in the service elevator. The exception to the rule is when the service elevator is out then the dog can go in the regular passenger elevator.  I may have already proved my own point but keep reading and we will see.

Personally, I have rules that i live by that i set for myself.: i drink one glass of water as soon as I wake up in the morning. I made this rule for myself to drink at that time because i know i am bad at drinking water and least i know that i will have consumed at least 16 oz. first thing in the morning.  Another rule I have created is I go grocery shopping Monday morning, after the morning rush hour is over but still early enough in the day so the store is not too crowded.  Rule #3: I workout first thing in the morning, period.  If i can't workout in the morning, the workout usually doesn't happen. .  Another rule, I have to sit down and write my blog entry in one sitting. If I don't have the time for it just after the lunch hour, its doesn't happen.

I rarely revisit my rules. They serve a purpose, they are tested and tried and true.  The husband disagrees.  He believes the rules should be revisited now and again. During a long walk recently, he and I had a discussion about why you  need to revisit your rules once in a while. You should remember why/how you came to these rules, revisit them, you may discover its time to change them up a bit update your GPS maps , if you will. just because i am who i am i automatically disagreed much to the annoyance to the husband.(i can hear his head shaking at me now)

I don't really disagree with him. Every day I ask someone to break their own personal rules to fit exercise into their schedule.  Everyday i break my own rules in order to get everything done. Believe me this is greeted with a whole lot of pushback.

Nobody wants to break their rules they have created, theirs too are tried and true and probably came to them for a good reason. Whether those reasons are to avoid annoyances, make a life a little easier or perhaps that is just the way you have always done and it has been handed down to you by your family you may not even actually how or why you created a rule for yourself, it just is.

What if you were to break the rule you created?  what is the worst that would happen?

I go grocery shopping on Monday,unless I am going to have a crazy day on Monday then I go on Sunday morning. (I do try to avoid anytime after 2pm, just way too crowded and crazy). I workout in the morning, period. Unless I am training for a triathlon and the pool does not open until 10 or its raining in the morning and I can't ride until the afternoon because that is when its expected to clear up. I can only write my blog in the afternoon, unless I am feeling exceptionally inspired to get it down on paper. I have revisted writing completely.  I have found that if i start an idea, get the idea down then revisit it a couple of days later, the idea has formed more completely for a more comprehensive read.


 rules like: i only do cardio or I only strength train,  or I can only take classes taught by  Ms. So & So maybe time to revisited.(unless I am Ms. So & So and then there is no need to revisit)

First , you need to ask yourself why? why do you only do cardio?  People only do cardio because it is the easiest form of exercise to understand.  Anybody can walk on a treadmill, walk or run around outside, or move on a elliptical, there are no special skills or knowledge needed to perform these exercises. You can also read (bad idea) or watch TV while doing so.  I also believe that people believe that cardio burns more calories than anything else and that they are getting more out of a cardio workout than another kind of workout.  Ask yourself, where did you learn that? Is it something that your mother/sister/friend taught you or is it just what  you have always done?  Exercise science changes all the time. Although cardio is good and should be done, do you ever mix it up with a little high intensity like a sprint?   according to a 2011 study presented at the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, just 2 weeks of high-intensity intervals improves your aerobic capacity as much as 6 to 8 weeks of endurance training.

Secondly, where did you learn to only strength train?  Did you join a gym umpteen years ago and somebody walk you through the circuit of cybex machines? or maybe a friend brought you to the gym once or twice showed you their routine of exercises and now that is what you do.
I think most people avoid strength training because its difficult and its confusing.   It could be time to work with a personal trainer. Most gyms/trainers do offer a  complimentary  training session and assessment (just be prepared for the sales pitch)  they will also gladly see you  more than once.  If you are only strength training you are missing out on the benefits of cardio fitness.  Aerobic exercise may activate your immune system. This may leave you less susceptible to minor viral illnesses, such as colds and flu.Aerobic exercise reduces the risk of many conditions, including obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, stroke and certain types of cancer.  I could go on and on about the benefits but i am sure you get the idea.

Third, who is this Ms. So & So that you are so loyal to?  In which rule book is it written that you can only take her classes on Monday, Wednesday & Friday?  Break out! try something new!  don't feel guilty about taking some one else's class.  A truly good instructor will be happy to see you trying different things and exploring the world of exercise and will encourage you to do so. Most instructors/ trainers will be happy that  you are staying active and didn't disappear into the sofa.

I try my best to be flexible with my rules. My rules are in place to help me keep my discipline.  The discipline helps me accomplish all the goals I have set for myself. on some days  all of my rules are adhered to and i feel super accomplished. on days my rules are flexed or moved, I still feel very accomplished and just a little smarter for being so flexible and getting everything done.




No comments:

Post a Comment